Volunteers are special people. No matter their role in our organization, we want to ensure they are well-prepared.
We pre-screen all volunteers, and provide them with orientation to our agency and the training they need to do their job well.
The screening process includes an application, an in-person interview, and background and reference checks.
Training for Patient and Family Support Volunteers
Our Patient and Family Support care volunteers must be 18 years of age or older and attend a comprehensive, 30-hour training. Upcoming dates are listed below.
Marin County Training Schedule: May 20, 22, 25, 31, June 2; 9:30 a.m.–4 p.m.
Applications due May 1, 2017.
San Francisco Training Schedule: Dec. 10, Jan. 18, 24; 9:30 a.m.–3:45 p.m.; Jan. 24, 26; 5:30–9 p.m.
Applications: Now closed. Spring 2017 dates TBA.
Sonoma County Spring Training Schedule: March 10, 13, 15, 17, 20
Applications due Feb. 24
Note: We are especially seeking out volunteers living in the Santa Rosa, Novato, Vallejo and Napa areas.
Training topics include:
- Hospice history and philosophy
- Hospice team and services
- Volunteer role and boundaries
- Communication skills with terminally ill patients and their families
- Disease process, symptom management and the active dying process
- Psychosocial issues and family dynamics
- Comfort care, physical assistance training and body mechanics
- Spiritual issues in hospice work
- Grief and loss in hospice work
- If you are assigned to volunteer at a nursing home, residential care facility or hospital, we’ll cover additional topics, including policies and procedures, performance standards, assignment procedures, documentation and personnel forms. A TB skin test is required.
Commitment to Service
We appreciate the dedication and commitment of our Patient and Family Support volunteers. To provide consistent service to them, we ask that volunteers commit to the following:
- A minimum of one year of regular weekly service
- Approximately two to four hours per week
- Attend three to four support meetings or education in-service programs
- Participate in one annual review (mandatory)
Training for Organization and Fundraising Volunteers
Our Organization and Fundraising volunteers must be 18 years or older and attend a 2 1/2 hour orientation to the agency.
Volunteers also receive additional on-site training specific to their task.
Training is offered approximately once per month. Complete a Volunteer Inquiry Form and you will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator for the next available training.
Though not mandatory, a one-year commitment to service is requested.