Our patients and their families frequently tell us they wish they had called us earlier, so they could have benefited that much longer from our personalized care.
When to call Hospice by the Bay
Patients do get the most benefit from hospice support when care begins earlier in their illness.
Some signs that it’s time to consider hospice care:
- More frequent hospital or emergency room visits
- An unexplained drop in weight
- Spending most of the day laying down
- Shortness of breath while resting
Our Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Molly Bourne, offers advice in this download:
Start the Conversation
At Hospice by the Bay, we witness first-hand the difficulties that families face when they have to guess about their loved ones’ wishes for care at the end of life. Making your wishes known ahead of time is one of the greatest gifts you can give your family.
Not sure how to begin? Let us help you:
Choosing Hospice Care
Our team members care for you during visits wherever you live. In addition to scheduled visits, our nurses are on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to answer questions or make an emergency visit. We can help you find around-the-clock caregiver support or other outside resources as needed.
During our visits, the team provides patients with:
- Pain and symptom management
- Medical care, including medical supplies and equipment, and hospice medications
- Counseling about practical issues, including your health care wishes, planning for your financial needs, and tapping benefits or additional support from other agencies
- Help ensuring your physical safety in your living environment
- Personal care, including bathing and dressing when needed
Team members also offer patients and their families:
- Education about end-of-life
- Caregiver education and training
- Emotional counseling and grief support
- Interfaith spiritual comfort
Talking about hospice can be difficult, and we can help. We work with you and your physician, so you can make the right choices for yourself and your family.
Call us at (415) 927.2273 or click here for the Hospice by the Bay office near you.