Due to the current Covid-19 crisis, we are not able to accept donations at our office at 17 E. Sir Francis Drake Blvd. in Larkspur; or at our retail space at Book Passage, which will be closed until at least April 1. Please check back for further updates.
Thank you for considering a book donation to Hospice by the Bay. Your support helps us in so many ways that we are hoping you can help us just a little bit more.
As much as we love books, many years of experience have shown us what we can and can’t resell in our Used Book Room. Our customers expect a high standard, so before you bundle up your books and drop them off at our office or store, please take a moment to sort through them. By only donating the best of the best, you will help our efforts go farther.
THE GOLDEN RULE
If you wouldn’t buy it or give it to a friend, please don’t bring it to us.
We know it’s difficult to throw out any book, but not every once-cherished book is worth keeping. When we have to sort through unsellable donated books, it takes up time, energy and storage space. Not only that, we must pay to dispose of them, and new, stricter limits on disposing of unsellable hardback books may jeopardize the future of our operation.
BEST SELLERS (in general, published after 2015 is best)
- Mystery, Detective and Suspense Novels
- Self Help/New Age
- Cook Books
- Children’s/Young Adults
- For public health purposes, we cannot accept any moldy, dirty, water-stained or mildewed books. These are often books that have been in storage.
- Books with damaged bindings, missing covers or pages, or with writing, markings, or highlighting
- Condensed Books
- Encyclopedias, World Books
- Time/Life book series or similar series
- Textbooks, Technical Manuals
- Library Books
- Periodicals, Magazines
- Travel Guides over five years old
- CD’s, DVD’s, VHS Tapes, Cassettes
MAKING YOUR DONATION
Donation Hours — We can accept your donation at our Larkspur office, 17 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. We accept donations 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Packing instructions — Please pack books in doubled paper bags. We cannot accept boxes of books. They simply weigh too much for our staff and volunteers to move without risking injury.