Hospice is specialized end-of-life care that attends to patient’s needs in order to enhance their quality of life. Care is provided by a team of health professionals, skilled in pain and symptom management, providing comfort and care to patients and their entire family.
The goal of hospice during a terminal illness is compassionate care and comfort rather than a cure. To be eligible for hospice, a doctor must verify a prognosis of six months or less of life, if the patient’s illness runs its natural course.
Our team members care for you during visits wherever you live. In addition to scheduled visits, our nurses are on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to answer questions or make an emergency visit. We can help you find around-the-clock caregiver support or other outside resources as needed.
Is it time for hospice?
During our visits, the team provides patients with
- Pain and symptom management
- Medical care, including medical supplies and equipment, and hospice medications
- Counseling about practical issues, including your health care wishes, planning for your financial needs, and tapping benefits or additional support from other agencies
- Help ensuring your physical safety in your living environment
- Personal care, including bathing and dressing when needed
Team members also offer patients and their families
- Education about end-of-life
- Caregiver education and training
- Emotional counseling and grief support
- Interfaith spiritual comfort
When to call Hospice by the Bay
Our patients and their families frequently tell us they wish they had called us earlier, so they could have benefited that much longer from our personalized care. Patients do get the most benefit from hospice support when care begins earlier in their illness.
Some signs that it’s time to consider hospice care
- More frequent hospital or emergency room visits
- An unexplained drop in weight
- Spending most of the day laying down
- Shortness of breath while resting
Starting a conversation about hospice can be difficult, and we can help. We work with you and your physician, so you can make the right choices for yourself and your family.
Call us at (415) 927.2273 or click here for the Hospice by the Bay office near you.